Sunday, October 25, 2015

Living the Adventure

Filled with music; filled with joy.

The Mendenhall Quartet after the Juneau Symphony concert!

WARNING: This will be a rather short post because I had a very busy week with Juneau Symphony rehearsals almost every night, so I have a lot of work to get caught up on tonight!
But the busy week was worth it. I was reminded of how much I love playing in orchestra this week, as I spent 13 hours working on and performing Shostakovich’s Festive Overture, Massanet’s Meditation with an amazing guest soloist, and Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 (New World Symphony). I love orchestra because each of the ensemble’s members work as a team to create a beautiful sound. I also love the rush of performing- you’re just so totally in the moment on that stage as the music is washing over you and the audience. The bright lights, the nervous smiles, the teamwork- it’s such a high! And I have been placed in the first stand, which has an added pressure but also a specialness because I can really hear each string part and am so close to the conductor, I can hear him breathe. I just love it! The two performances went so well! This was actually one of the few times I have ever played the same show two days in a row, and it was an odd feeling. I think I built it up so much for that first performance and really gave it my all, that by the time the second performance came around, I felt very tired and distracted. But again- being so in the moment for that first one and for many other performances is a true treat for me because most of the time, my mind is on at least three things at once. But not in orchestra. :) The Symphony members and the new conductor, Troy Quinn, have also been so kind and welcoming. It is an honor to be part of this community this year! I was just beaming after that concert last night, staring out at the packed performance hall.

Me and my awesome standpartner, Meghan!
The only hard thing about playing so much is my shoulder...it’s gotten significantly worse in the past week because of those 13 hours of hacking away. Let me tell you, playing in pain is not fun! I’m sure most musicians or anyone who has a job centered around physical labor can relate to that. It’s gotten to the point where my shoulder just hurts all the time and is difficult to move, and the pain has spread from the front of my shoulder to the top. The good news is, I scheduled an appointment with a bone and joint doctor who came highly recommended! The bad new is, he’s not available until mid-November….the good news, again, is that the Symphony is done until after New Year’s, so I am definitely avoiding playing and moving my arm as much as possible until my appointment. I’m not going to let myself worry about it right now. I’m just believing that it’ll be okay. :)

Besides the craziness of Symphony week, I continued teaching my high school Spanish classes, which are getting better and better, and worked with my JAMM bass players and second grade general music class at Glacier Valley. I have been having some difficulties with my JAMM bass class because one of my students is often disrespectful and uncooperative, and another has a very hard time keeping up and gets easily discouraged. When that’s basically half the class, it’s tough for me to stay positive and keep the class moving forward. I’m trying to push through and see what I can learn from it, though. And hey- I’m learning more about bass!!! Spanish class will be taken to the next level this week because my mentor teacher at Thunder Mountain, Tyree, is gone with his music students at a regional music event until Wednesday. So Monday and Wednesday Spanish classes will be all on me! EEK!!! But I have a plan- we are going to build an ofrenda (an altar) for Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) as a way to wrap up that unit I’ve been teaching, and then I am going to share with them about my experiences in Peru and show them an awesome educational video about it. I really want these high schoolers to see the value in learning Spanish because it is so widely used and could be a crucial skill they may need. And I want them to understand how incredible it is to live and work in a different country and experience all aspects of its culture. I’ve been looking through all my Peruvian albums on Facebook in preparation for my presentation, and it makes me extremely happy that I was able to spend two summers there. It was full of so many beautiful places and people and experiences! Oh, how I miss it! But you know what? I’m probably going to say the same thing about Alaska someday. Because I know that even though I’m super busy and teaching isn’t always easy, this is a grand adventure that I will be super nostalgic about someday. And come on- it’s ALASKA! Sometimes I just say aloud to myself, “I live in ALASKA NOW. WHAT?!”. Yes, I think I’m pretty cool. I feel so thankful that I discovered my adventurous spirit and have been able to nourish that these past few years!!

I attended a Lutheran church down the street today because it gave me enough time to prepare for our concert this afternoon, and the sermon was focused on how when we have Jesus, we always have joy. Even in the hardest, most stressful times, we always have that joy that often manifests itself as peace and assurance. So no matter what is going on in life, Jesus’ love and beauty and care never fades, and we can feel at peace about that. And being in a beautiful place, growing as a person, making beautiful music, and helping children are more gracious gifts He has given me that I am trying very hard to not take for granted! I’m feeling very thankful and joyful indeed.

So I’d say that’s a good way to end the post and go into this week. :)

I took a walk and prayed on the pier of the Gastineau Channel,
which happens to be across the street from my house... :)


1 comment:

  1. We are so blessed that you are playing with us in the symphony, your section was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete